Service Dog

I just signed a lease on an apartment that will take my two chihuahuas and my service dog! Most places will only take two dogs, a service dog and one other dog. I get my service dog Cooper this summer. He should be done with his training then. Along with MM I have a rare neurological disease, it's pretty mild now, but it will get worse. In the beginning I will need Cooper mostly for balance, I have some pretty spectacular falls. Wouldn't you know it, I have a disease that makes me fall and one that affects the bones....

I had a nasty tumor that fractured my spine and and the surgury was very extensive. Falling would not be good. Cooper will go a long way to keeping me safe. Uneven surfaces, stairs, carpeting, etc., trip me up and I can't catch myself. I'll be able to hold onto his harness and resume a relatively normal life.

Cooper is a beautiful Collie, I was fortunate enough to be able to puppy raise him until I got the tumor. Many service dogs live with families when they're puppies, then at a year old they go back to the agency for a year or more of extensive training.

awesome post! Kati on LivingWithAtaxia.org sister site has a service dog named Inca. So awesome.

you should say hi! http://www.livingwithataxia.org/profile/Kati

Scott, I was shocked that someone read my blog. Thank you for sending me the comment on Kati and Inca, I'm going to check it out! Thanks!

Scott, I joined livingwithataxia, thank you! I also have ataxia... I can't wait until I'm approved so I can talk to Kati.

that is so awesome.

people definitely read he posts. we're still building this network up. You can see what a fully formed and populated support network looks like with the Ataxia one. If you like it and want to volunteer, we'd love to have you as a volunteer moderator. It's pretty simple, you just greet new members and try to be helpful. :)

you can learn more about us here: www.bensfriends.org