Nutritional Supplements?

My boyfriend was diagnosed with MM in February. He was on Velcade & Dex but, had some issues with it so, as of Monday (3/24) he will be switched to Revlimid & Dex. I am just wondering if any of you take nutritional supplements and if you do, which ones? Does anyone take probiotics?

Sadly, this is an area many medical Dr's are not very familiar with and therefore often recommend not taking them but, I've read so many posts & blogs on various MM sites of people that do take them and have done well. I am curious.

Thanks!

JerseyGyrl

Hi Jersey Gyrl, I take probiotics every night and have for the last 2 years. Every thirty days I change the brand I take as to get another strain of the good bacteria. They have really helped my colitis. I was also diagnosed with MM this February. I have also read online that CoQ10 and fish oil are good to take with MM. I have not asked my doctor about them yet. I am also limiting the sugar and processed carbohydrates that I eat. When your insulin goes up, it feeds the MM. My doctor recommends a diet of vegetables, fruit, and lean fish, chicken, and beef. I have also read that the spices cinnamon, Turmeric and curry powder are also helpful for MM.

Hope this helps, juli

Just to add to what Juli wrote, I'll second her recommendations of limiting sugars & processed carbs, and of using cinnamon, turmeric and curry powder. Not sure if turmeric is the english name for curcuma or if curcuma is a derivative of turmeric, but it's apparently the stuff to use. There have been (and I think continue to be) scientific studies and trials in its use to fight myeloma with promising results. Worth checking it out - I was told about it by a fellow patient who is a neurologist.

The diet recommended by her doctor is good too, I think. While my own doctor doesn't put much credence on the value of specific diet beyond eating "healthy", I've eaten a diet rich in fresh, raw veggies and fruits with some fish, chicken and a little lean meat, almost all whole foods and extremely little processed food since diagnosis a year ago. Don't know if that helped, but I went into Near Complete response after 2 months of treatment (carfilzomib, dexamethasone, thalidomide) and with few side effects from treatment.

Also - drink LOTS of pure water, at least 2 liters (half gallon) per day, especially important while in treatment. It flushes the system and will help keep the kidneys healthy, which is important since MM often attacks them.

Lipoid acid is good if developping neuropathy> I take good bon supplement with calcium, mahnesium, d3 and k2. all the above also

I was told no supplements which might interfere w/ chemo. They took me off of everything.

Madison

Madison, I was told the same thing. So I just focused on eating a really healthy diet during treatment, and drinking those 2 liters of water every day. My doctor told me if I wanted to try supplements, I should wait until chemo ended, but to still check with him first and be cautious with it.

Madison said:

I was told no supplements which might interfere w/ chemo. They took me off of everything.

Madison

Thank you all for your responses.

Since my boyfriend's diagnosis (February), he has been eating an anti-inflammatory diet. He avoids sugar and processed foods. He drinks a lot of water. In fact, he was drinking too much water and it was interfering with his sodium level. He has since adjusted how much water he is drinking.

When he began chemo, he was on Velcade & Dex. His previous oncologist suggested he not take any supplements. He just this week started Revlimid & Dex and is still off all supplements.

I am quite concerned about his immune system. Is there anything he can do to strengthen the immune system while on chemo? I have read so many articles on nutrition & supplements and it seems many cancer patients on chemo take supplements but, that being said, when he asks his doctor, the answer to supplements is typically "no". Its very frustrating!

It sounds like your boyfriend is doing all the right things, diet-wise. Where I'm being treated, it is common to prescribe prophylactic antibiotics and anti-virals during chemo, sometimes also anti-fungals. I had a bad allergic reaction to antibiotic after a month on them, so that was discontinued though I remained on anti-virals for 10 months until treatment ended. I developed no infections, had no illnesses during that entire time. However, I washed my hands frequently and on my doctor's advise didn't eat sushi, meat was thoroughly cooked, eggs too (no runny yolks). Also, for 2 months after stem cell transplant I was told to avoid situations where I would be in enclosed spaces with large numbers of people who could potentially infect me - no concert halls, movie theaters, public transport (including flights)

Is there a reason you're especially concerned about his immune system? Is it showing signs of being especially compromised? Since my stem cell transplant at end of Sept 2013, my leukocyte (white cell) count has been low but still I've remained healthy as it slowly recovers.

JerseyGyrl said:

Since my boyfriend's diagnosis (February), he has been eating an anti-inflammatory diet. He avoids sugar and processed foods. He drinks a lot of water. In fact, he was drinking too much water and it was interfering with his sodium level. He has since adjusted how much water he is drinking.

When he began chemo, he was on Velcade & Dex. His previous oncologist suggested he not take any supplements. He just this week started Revlimid & Dex and is still off all supplements.

I am quite concerned about his immune system. Is there anything he can do to strengthen the immune system while on chemo? I have read so many articles on nutrition & supplements and it seems many cancer patients on chemo take supplements but, that being said, when he asks his doctor, the answer to supplements is typically "no". Its very frustrating!

They want nothing to interfer w/ chemo.

Madison

Tammy said:

It sounds like your boyfriend is doing all the right things, diet-wise. Where I'm being treated, it is common to prescribe prophylactic antibiotics and anti-virals during chemo, sometimes also anti-fungals. I had a bad allergic reaction to antibiotic after a month on them, so that was discontinued though I remained on anti-virals for 10 months until treatment ended. I developed no infections, had no illnesses during that entire time. However, I washed my hands frequently and on my doctor's advise didn't eat sushi, meat was thoroughly cooked, eggs too (no runny yolks). Also, for 2 months after stem cell transplant I was told to avoid situations where I would be in enclosed spaces with large numbers of people who could potentially infect me - no concert halls, movie theaters, public transport (including flights)

Is there a reason you're especially concerned about his immune system? Is it showing signs of being especially compromised? Since my stem cell transplant at end of Sept 2013, my leukocyte (white cell) count has been low but still I've remained healthy as it slowly recovers.

JerseyGyrl said:

Madison said:

Madison

Tammy said:

JerseyGyrl said:

Multi Myeloma attacks immune system, my wbc was 1 therefore I couldn't get chemo that week. It averages between 1.3 & 1.4 Everything to do w/ immune system is rock bottom low.

Madison

Madison

Tammy said:

JerseyGyrl said:

From all I've read, keeping the immune system strong seems to be very important. Since his diagnosis is still fairly new to both him & myself, we have a lot to learn. I just want whatever is best for him

Over this past weekend he had a slight fever and we both got pretty nervous over it. He spoke to his oncologist's office who advised him to take some aspirin and keep an eye on his temperature and if it reached 100.5 to go to the hospital. Thankfully, the aspirin did the trick and he was fine.

He started Revlimid & Dex this week and so far he's doing well. He's been able to go to work. He did have a restless night the first night and felt a little jittery but, other than that, he says he is feeling good.

Thank you for your encouragement. This is a great place and I am very happy I found it.

Tammy said:

JerseyGyrl said:

Madison, I hope you are feeling better. I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

Madison said:

Multi Myeloma attacks immune system, my wbc was 1 therefore I couldn't get chemo that week. It averages between 1.3 & 1.4 Everything to do w/ immune system is rock bottom low.

Madison

Madison

Tammy said:

JerseyGyrl said:

Yes, it's true if your white count (leukocytes) drops too low, that will delay chemo by some days or weeks until it recovers, I think that's true also of red cells & thrombo's but it seems the leuko's are the most frequent problem. That said, I never took a supplement through 4 months of Induction chemo, stem cell collection, stem cell transplant, and then 4 more months of consolidation chemo (I was in a clinical trial). And I never once had to delay chemo. In fact, my white count (actually, all my counts) remained in the normal range through the first 4 cycles of chemo, until stem cell transplant. And they rebounded about a month after transplant (although my white count rebounded only to 3, just a bit below normal, but it's still slowly rising).

Actually, MM doesn't directly attack the white cells or red cells, what happens is the proliferation of plasma cells growing out of control crowds out all the other guys. Here's a good explanation from the cancer.org website:

"In multiple myeloma, the overgrowth of plasma cells in the bone marrow can crowd out normal blood-forming cells, leading to low blood counts. This can cause anemia — a shortage of red blood cells. People with anemia become pale, weak, and fatigued. Multiple myeloma can also cause the level of platelets in the blood to become low (calledthrombocytopenia). This can lead to increased bleeding and bruising. Another condition that can develop is leukopenia— a shortage of normal white blood cells. This can lead to problems fighting infections."

Hope this helps. Does your boyfriend get printouts of his blood results every week? I did that, and found it interesting to track how my blood counts were doing, and considering that in relation to my eating/sleeping and work/activity habits of the preceding week.

Madison, I hope your white count improves and then stabilizes. I'm saying a special prayer for you.

Every day I remind myself how lucky I've been in this long journey we're all on. It's important for us all - and that includes our spouses/partners who I think have it tougher than we patients - to remember that there will at times be bumps in the road and we just have to say "ok, I can deal with that, let's move forward". It's a marathon, it's a roller coaster, but we just learn to live with it. Maintain a positive attitude, remind yourself every day "I CAN do this" and don't fret too much about the "what if's" - because most of the things we worry might happen never do. And then look at all that energy you wasted on the worrying, and for nothing! :-) So live, laugh, love! Focus on the positive. That's my motto.

JerseyGyrl said:

Madison, I hope you are feeling better. I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

Madison said:

Madison

Madison

Tammy said:

JerseyGyrl said:

Hi Tammy, I love your letter, your advice and your attitude. I do use alot of supplements, I work in a health food store so I buy cheap and get alot of stuff for free. All the sups I use are food based though ( alot of greens, calcium, vit D3, K2, magnesium, Turmeric fish oils) and everybody is amazed how healthy I look. Attitude does have so much to do with it. My numbers never left there normal range either other than my hemoglobin when the MM was really bad. Now that too is in the normal. My docs were amazed how fast I went back to normal after both my stem cells which were 4 months apart. Within a couple of weeks I was out walking and doing simple yoga, and within a month I was back at work among people with my wbc at 5.3. So I do believe it helps but you have to be careful and informed. Everything I take I check with interactions specifically MM related. Asparagus for one, said to help with cancer is not recommended for us with MM and can actually make it worse. Tomorrow I will find out what my numbers are since my second transplant. I am not expecting CM though I do hope to be close this time. Sunday I am giving a talk at a church on my journey and how faith and attitude has helped. I want to bring awareness to MM and its symptoms and will do that one doctor, chiropractor and church at a time :>)

Lieve, I love your attitude, too! Crossing fingers and saying prayers that it's the best news for you tomorrow! I assume you run all your supplements past your hematologist, to make sure there's no conflict with any of the agents/drugs you're on during chemo & transplant? wbc at 5.3 a month after transplant is really impressive!!! How long ago was the 2nd transplant? I'm being treated in Holland (moved here for 5 years for work, and then I got the DX so we're here for a bit longer), and they do not do the double transplant here. But I had 4 more cycles of the full-strength chemo starting 2 months after transplant.

Okay, now I'll brag a little - I was riding the exercise bike in my hospital room the day after transplant, and I took a walk the day after release from hospital of about 2 miles, and even jogged for about 100 yards, just to prove to myself that I could. (nearly gave my husband a heart attack, he was so worried) I believe that so much of health is mind over matter, positive attitude and optimism really makes a difference, and never succumb to fear or dismay. Also that prayer does have a positive impact!

lievie said:

Hi Tammy, I love your letter, your advice and your attitude. I do use alot of supplements, I work in a health food store so I buy cheap and get alot of stuff for free. All the sups I use are food based though ( alot of greens, calcium, vit D3, K2, magnesium, Turmeric fish oils) and everybody is amazed how healthy I look. Attitude does have so much to do with it. My numbers never left there normal range either other than my hemoglobin when the MM was really bad. Now that too is in the normal. My docs were amazed how fast I went back to normal after both my stem cells which were 4 months apart. Within a couple of weeks I was out walking and doing simple yoga, and within a month I was back at work among people with my wbc at 5.3. So I do believe it helps but you have to be careful and informed. Everything I take I check with interactions specifically MM related. Asparagus for one, said to help with cancer is not recommended for us with MM and can actually make it worse. Tomorrow I will find out what my numbers are since my second transplant. I am not expecting CM though I do hope to be close this time. Sunday I am giving a talk at a church on my journey and how faith and attitude has helped. I want to bring awareness to MM and its symptoms and will do that one doctor, chiropractor and church at a time :>)

I have also seen studies on the benefits and fucoidan and MM, anybody else seen this. Apparantly it helps with residual MM , anyway I am using it and assume it works. Tomorrow a workup on all my numbers, I am counting on them being great :>)

Hallo Tammy, kan jij ook Nederlands spreken. So cool, I am Dutch, born and raised. Funny coincidance. I too walked every day during transplant, three times a day and did the bike. I was horribly nauseous and there are still many foods I don't like because of it, but that was the worst of it. I do not run my sups by my oncologist, he really does not believe in it. He told me don't do stuff during my days of chemo, but when I am not on it, do what I like. He sees how well I do, so I don't think he can argue. Yes, attitiude is so much, even the nurses say this. When I was first diagnosed I was so sick and depressed, crying all the time. I remember a nurse telling me not to do that, because it would have negative consequences. I wanted to punch her LOL, God knows I did not want to feel that way, but I had to go through the stages of grief. Grieving that I was not longer invinsible, that I no longer could do my triatlons, that I was a relative young Mom of a 7 year old, terrified not to be able to raise her. It took awhile, but when that ship turned it turned 180 and now I am an example to others. I have been asked to give lectures and will be doing so this sunday at a church :>) I am excited about making a difference and MM has given me more of a voice than I ever could have, so it is my silver lining (among many others). I always tell people I am really healthy, I just have cancer LOL. My last transplant just happened January 6th, I went in with still 30 procent in my bone marrow, now I don't care to know what it is, since it wont change treatment. It still shows up in my urine and blood, so I will continue to do chemo until it is GONE !!!! I wish you all the luck and enjoy those tullips, pannekoeken, stroopwafels and nice patio's on summer days. Wishing I was there having a nice dutch cup of coffee with saucer and a cookie :>)

Ja, ik spreek een beetje Nederland. Talk about a small world! Thanks for sharing some of your story, you are an amazing woman! I know exactly what you mean when you tell people you are really healthy, you just have cancer - I feel the same way! Fantastic that you are giving lectures, I can tell from your writing that you must be a very dynamic speaker. The tulips are very early this year, we had almost no winter. Can't wait for real "patio weather", I am READY! All the best to you, Lievie, good luck with those results.

What part of Holland are you from? I live in Rotterdam, being treated at Erasmus MC.

lievie said:

Hallo Tammy, kan jij ook Nederlands spreken. So cool, I am Dutch, born and raised. Funny coincidance. I too walked every day during transplant, three times a day and did the bike. I was horribly nauseous and there are still many foods I don't like because of it, but that was the worst of it. I do not run my sups by my oncologist, he really does not believe in it. He told me don't do stuff during my days of chemo, but when I am not on it, do what I like. He sees how well I do, so I don't think he can argue. Yes, attitiude is so much, even the nurses say this. When I was first diagnosed I was so sick and depressed, crying all the time. I remember a nurse telling me not to do that, because it would have negative consequences. I wanted to punch her LOL, God knows I did not want to feel that way, but I had to go through the stages of grief. Grieving that I was not longer invinsible, that I no longer could do my triatlons, that I was a relative young Mom of a 7 year old, terrified not to be able to raise her. It took awhile, but when that ship turned it turned 180 and now I am an example to others. I have been asked to give lectures and will be doing so this sunday at a church :>) I am excited about making a difference and MM has given me more of a voice than I ever could have, so it is my silver lining (among many others). I always tell people I am really healthy, I just have cancer LOL. My last transplant just happened January 6th, I went in with still 30 procent in my bone marrow, now I don't care to know what it is, since it wont change treatment. It still shows up in my urine and blood, so I will continue to do chemo until it is GONE !!!! I wish you all the luck and enjoy those tullips, pannekoeken, stroopwafels and nice patio's on summer days. Wishing I was there having a nice dutch cup of coffee with saucer and a cookie :>)

Thank you for your vote of confidence Tammy, it will be my first of many I hope :>):>) I was born in Rotterdam and grew up in het Gooi, mostly Hilversum, but also Naarden en Baarn. Geniet van mijn kikkerlandje en het mooie weer wanneer het er is :>) I will let you know my results tomorrow :>)