Sunshine While Taking Revlimid

I received this message today from DoxieMom (a new member of our community) and wanted to post it here as other's may be able to share their experiences.

Hi, JerseyGyrl,

Does anyone have experience with sunshine while taking revlimid? We will be on going on vacation soon, and I would like to know if I have to avoid the sun. Do I need tons of sunscreen? This will be my first sunny vacation since I started the rev in December following knee replacement. Thanks for any advice, because I can't get information from the manufacturer!

DoxieMom

My husband just started taking his Revlimid yesterday. We read through everything and it doesn't say anything about sunshine. Can't you call your contact where get the Revlimid or doctor? We have a list for our next visit.

Enjoy your vacation - I'm sure its well deserved.

Good morning Doxie, I was on revlimid for about 3 years and did not have any issues with sun burn. We made several trips to east coast beaches with no problems. I always used sunscreen and did not spend hours trying to get a tan. I think it reacts differently in each of us so just be careful and exercise good judgment. Most importantly enjoy life, don't let MM rule it, live like it means something to you.

Have Fun :)

God Bless

Rodney

Hi,

I am sending you this web site chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/Revlimid.aspx#.VRgn9JrD-Mk

In the article it is advised to avoid sun exposure and to wear SPF 15 or (higher), sunblock and protective clothing.

I live in a very sunny area and have had no difficulties as long as you are smart with the exposure and stay in the shade most of the time.

Hope this helps and have fun you deserve it.

What side effect could you get from the sun?

Revlimid causes changes in your skin, increased sensitivity and increases sun exposure reaction.

They told my daughter the same thing to avoid the sun or wear long sleeves and hat outside

My doctor and his staff leave a lot to be desired. I've never in my life had skin issues until I started revlimid, which gave me some majorly painful dry patches on my hands and legs during the holidays. I haven't laid out in sun since teenager, only walk on the beach with a cover up if I need it. So basically I should continue with my usual sun routine and be careful to watch for any issues that might present themselves. I appreciate the input! Thanks so much.

Multiple Myeloma attacks your immune system that might have something to do with your skin condition. You should seek a dermatologist in your area as this sounds like psoriasis, but I am not qualified to diagnosis.

I already saw the dermatologist. He said it was from the rev & suggested the same lotion he always recommends. I think he has stock in the company. However, I did find that when these spots first show up, a week of vitamin A & D ointment helps to clear, then I can use a lotion to maintain mormalcy.

janet kerrigan said:

Multiple Myeloma attacks your immune system that might have something to do with your skin condition. You should seek a dermatologist in your area as this sounds like psoriasis, but I am not qualified to diagnosis.

Not sure, actually. I know that prior to transplant, when I was on Velcade, I was told to "limit" the amount of time I spent in direct sun, and all of the helpful liturature my doctor gave me says to wear long sleeves while on chemo. I would read the liturature that comes with the the revlimid. I have been on it for 2 years now, on and off, and I have not even looked at the literature lately.

The most important thing I can say is HAVE FUN!! The one thing I have learned from all of this is to enjoy life as it happens!! Go ahead, toss me some more lemon's. I have learned to make a great lemonade!!

I havn't been on Revlimid but when I was diagnosed in 2006 I was told to limit the time I spent in the sun.

I also found I didn't want to sit out - I could feel my skin screaming at me to go indoors LOL