I am new to this group would like to know what to execpt during stem cell transplant for my daughter and what I can do to help her go thru this

Hi Loving Parent,

Welcome to our little "family"! You have come to a great place for support, encouragement & friendship. I joined this group when my boyfriend was diagnosed with MM in February 2014. I wanted to learn all I could from people who are in the same situation. It has been a most rewarding experience for me and I have learned so much from everyone here.

In August, after 4 months of chemo (Revlimid, Velcade & Dex) my boyfriend had a stem cell transplant. He has kappa light chain myeloma. The transplant was done outpatient. He checked into the hospital 2 days prior. He was given high dose chemo both days. Thankfully, he did not get sick from this! On the third day, he received his stem cells and was sent home about an hour afterwards. The next 2 and a half weeks were spent going back and forth to the hospital everyday for daily monitoring & hydration which lasts approx. 5 hours. On day 8, he developed C-diff which resulted in Colitis. This kept him in the hospital on antibiotics for 5 days.

Fatigue and weakness were the most common complaint. But, little by little, day by day, strength returns. The most important thing is being mindful of germs. Washing your hands, making sure everything is wiped down with disinfectant and avoiding groups of people are all biggies.

My boyfriend & I are big believers in diet. As soon as he was diagnosed, he adapted an anti-inflammatory, low carb diet. The stronger you go into something like a transplant, the better you will come out of it....that is our thinking.

I hope this is helpful to you and if there is anything else I can help you with please feel free to let me know.

My thoughts are with you & your daughter.

God Bless,


Thank you so much for your answer .Did they use his own bone marrow? They said she will have to be in the hospital for her treatment. I thought no one was reading my posts it seems I am the only one on line a lot of times. Your post made me feel alot better Thank you again.

I'm happy to hear my post made you feel better. Being a moderator here is very rewarding for me. I have "met" many wonderful people here and feel like we are all family. Always remember, we are all here for each other and to share our experiences. Learning about this really does help ease the fear. At least that has been my personal experience.

To answer your question, yes, my boyfriend's stem cells were used for his transplant (Aug 2014). His transplant was done outpatient....checked into the hospital 2 days prior, had 2 days of high dose chemo, on the 3rd day he received his stem cells and was released an hour later. The next 2 and a half weeks were spent going back & forth to the hospital every day for 5 hours of monitoring & hydration. He returned to work full-time 6 weeks after his transplant. I am very proud of him. He is a strong man and has shown me that being strong comes from within.

I will keep your daughter in my prayers and you as well. This is just as difficult on the family & loved one's as it is on the patient.

Please keep us posted and if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. We are all here for you!

God Bless,


Hi..I have just come home after 2 weeks in the hospital where I had undergone a stem cell transplant. In India, it is not a OPD procedure. I was in total isolation for two weeks, in one room and my husband was my attendant. He was incharge of cleaning the room and giving me freshly cooked food whenever i had the appetite for it.

They harvested my stem cells and gave me high dose chemo the same day. Next day I was given my stem cells back and then it was a waiting game. After five days, my counts fell to zero and i was given Rbc. I had to be given platelets everyday for 3 days before my stem cells en-grafted. Itis draining and i slept a whole whole lot.. energy levels were very low and there was hardly any appetite. The hospital staff were supporting by giving the right amount of hydration and giving supplements in case the bio chemistry showed any shortage of proteins and minerals.

Once the Blood Count stabilised, I was discharged but with lots of antibiotics and anti viral meds. I am not allowed to socialise and eat outside food. I feel weak but recovering slowly. Only home cooked meals and lots of water for at least a month. The chemo does have a lingering effect which gives nausea and acidity off and on. Appetite is slowly coming back..but no hurry as the body has been thru a trauma and will take its own time to get back to normal.

Hope this helps you...please feel free to ask anything u feel unsure about.