Need information

Hello everyone, sorta worry and was wondering if you can help. Went to my Dr. Like I do every Thursday . I receive my zomate IV this week . I get this once a month the the other 3 weeks I get the chemo velcada .the last 2 visits I explain my back start hurting again but the pain use to be my whole back but now it has move towards my lower back by my hip. He look up the blood work and the s spike doesn’t show any thing, instead he was please that the Rev /dex /and velcade is working. So he suggested another MRI . 2 months ago that how they found out my MM had blown to the worst. He trying to get me in remission so I can get stem cell transplant .so any suggestions for me. I haven’t even got a wig yet. As soon as he gets me in remission which I thought was going to be a few more months,should I start making plans for family and etc. thank you God Bless

Louisa, I just shared your discussion with our members. I am sorry I missed it yesterday. I am sending prayers and good wishes your way. It is a tough time. I wish you the best!

I had a stem cell transplant last fall. It was painless but single high dose of chemo is a bit rough. You will need someone to be a caregiver to help you through it all. That is a requirement at Moffitt here in Tampa, Florida. It took several months to get my strength back but I feel a whole lot better now.

I hope all goes well for you and I will say a prayer for you.

God Bless !

Hi Louisa, If your doctor is pleased with the blood work, that's a good sign. I know how tough it is on you mentally when you start having these pains or other symptoms (for me it was hot flashes and night sweating), and the little fears and doubts that can invade your mind. Don't ignore the signals your body sends - tell your doctor everything! - but also realize that the drugs & chemicals your body is coping with can cause symptoms. If your doctor is monitoring you carefully and sees nothing in the blood work and other tests to indicate that there's a problem, you're probably ok.

I had my stem cell transplant at the end of September last year, and for me it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Yes, the high-dose chemo that is given just before it causes nausea but that is mostly controlled with meds and for most of us is over in a few days. I was lucky to never experience the severe fatigue that bothers many patients for some weeks or even a few months after transplant. Two weeks later I was at home cooking supper, doing some work via computer from home, and even taking daily walks of a mile or more. So everyone reacts differently. Other than finding a woman to clean house, I didn't require any outside help (except my husband had to do the grocery shopping for some weeks, since I wasn't allowed to go into stores until my white cell count rebounded to a certain level). You don't need to get a wig until you are getting ready for stem cell collection. One word of advice for stem cell transplant - ask for ice chips to chew on for about half an hour before they give you the high-dose chemo on the day or two before transplant, and all through that chemo infusion and for 15 minutes to half an hour after. It really helps prevent the severe mouth sores that can occur as a side effect and make the patient really miserable. I did this and absolutely no sores; I know of several other patients with similar result. So make sure you do this when the time comes!

Saying a prayer for you that everything will go well, and that God will give you the strength to get through this, and will ease your mind.

Hi Louise, I took Doxil, Velcade and Dex for almost 2 months and after that they wanted me to prepare for a stem cell transplant. That was in Jan. May 7th. I had it done. It was the Mephalan that took my hair. I really wasn't worried about hair. I wanted to get rid of the MM if possible. May 7th will be 5 years. I say it was worth it for me to have it done. So far so good. I was sick. Some people aren't. I have neuropathy pretty bad and take Tramodol for that. I wish you well and if I can be of any help to you I will try. Good Doctors are a must . God bless...

I had my stem cell at Moffitt also. Dr. M Alsina was my Dr.
petemyles said:

I had a stem cell transplant last fall. It was painless but single high dose of chemo is a bit rough. You will need someone to be a caregiver to help you through it all. That is a requirement at Moffitt here in Tampa, Florida. It took several months to get my strength back but I feel a whole lot better now.

I hope all goes well for you and I will say a prayer for you.

God Bless !

Hi Louise, I have found it to be very hard to not worry, sometimes the concerns can just over power me. I try very hard to keep my myeloma hidden where it is not the focus of my daily thoughts. Life is way to precious of a gift to waste on worries, I cherish each day and try to experience it to the fullest, trying not to get upset and be kind and friendly to all I meet. Being ill can be a blessing as it reminds us that each day we live is a gift and we should not waste it. There are many who pass on with no warning and never have the chance to love each day. So try not to worry to much, grab hold of each day, if its a good day remember it because it will help carry you through a bad day.

Make sure to voice your concerns to your doctor and let them know what is happening to your body. All the advice on here is good and will help you cope with what all is going on. My doctor explained to me that mm treatments are done on trends, they want the numbers to be going in the correct direction and it sounds like yours are, that is all a good thing.

I will keep you in my prayers

rodney

Very well said Rodney.Very nice :slight_smile:

Rodney your words and wisdom are wonderful. Thank you