Is stem cell transplant or chemo better for remission? For new diagnosis of MM

I have been treated for Hypogammaglobulinemia for since Feb 2012. My Oncologist is leaning toward a immediate transplant as soon as my m spike is at zero and I have enough stem cells collected for 2 transplants. My immune system is already compromised. I am afraid that I will die getting ready for the transplant. My body does not make antibodies to Staph or Strep and I have had pneumonia several times.

Dr Ann Mohrbacher at Keck Hospital at USC in LA is the BEST.

brace yourself said:

Stem cell transplant put me out of pain for 2 yrs I was in remission, doing wonderful until got Stomach Cancer (from Protonix 3 yrs.) it was for 8 wks. study. They kept me on it 3 yrs. It tells you over 8 wks. can cause Stomach tumors & it did.

I'm 73 yrs. old. I did wonderful w/ my transplant, no mouth sores, complications what-so-ever. Worse thing happened, lost my hair. It was back in 3 months.

I thought MM was bad until I got stomach cancer, lost 61 lbs. can't gain ounce back, wt. 94lbs. 75% stomach removed. Oh I can deal w/ MM but stomach is another deal. Your life will never be normal again. Eat too much nausea, don't eat enough nausea, Have to eat 6-8 times a day, baby portions. I'm not dealing too well w/ stomach ordeal. I'm also not getting good follow-up care. Just got out of hospital . Stomach removed year ago. All kinds of problems, they seem to ignore. Your bowels will never be right again either. Every day, I just want to give up. Madison

First words out of my brain were: "Oh my God, Madison, don't give up!! You sure have a lot to deal with.

Are you allowed to drink those supplements that are high in calories or would they make you sick?

In my opinion you need to be advised by a first class dietician- nutritionist to try to put some weight on you. They need to choose the foods that would be most beneficial for you and would not upset your stomach. I know that the stomach will stretch eventually because my father had part of his stomach removed and lived for many years afterwards without problems. He died of a sudden heart attack, not his stomach.

Can your hospital recommend "the best" somebody to help and advise you? You could also write to the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, to their "Gastro" dept. I would think that they could refer you to their proper person and perhaps you could both consult by Skype.

Best of luck and God bless you

Liz in PA.

Thank you for your information. Juli

zeepee@aol.com said:

brace yourself said:

Dear Madison, Thank you for the information about your transplant. I think Liz has some wonderful information you or your family members should look into immediately. Dealing with one illness is tough and then to toss another one into the mix just doesn't seem fair. I will pray that you find the right Gastric/Dietitian that can assist you with this new diagnosis. Your friend Juli

Madison said:

Stem cell transplant put me out of pain for 2 yrs I was in remission, doing wonderful until got Stomach Cancer (from Protonix 3 yrs.) it was for 8 wks. study. They kept me on it 3 yrs. It tells you over 8 wks. can cause Stomach tumors & it did.

I'm 73 yrs. old. I did wonderful w/ my transplant, no mouth sores, complications what-so-ever. Worse thing happened, lost my hair. It was back in 3 months.

I thought MM was bad until I got stomach cancer, lost 61 lbs. can't gain ounce back, wt. 94lbs. 75% stomach removed. Oh I can deal w/ MM but stomach is another deal. Your life will never be normal again. Eat too much nausea, don't eat enough nausea, Have to eat 6-8 times a day, baby portions. I'm not dealing too well w/ stomach ordeal. I'm also not getting good follow-up care. Just got out of hospital . Stomach removed year ago. All kinds of problems, they seem to ignore. Your bowels will never be right again either. Every day, I just want to give up. Madison