iMMUNE SYSTEM AFTER BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT

My husband is going for a bone marrow transplant and we are concerned about his immune system after the transplant. We know it will be shot.

Anyone have any suggestions how to protect the immune system/build it up quickly after the transplant? Echinacea, Vitamin C comes to mind. Anything else at all?

We would very much appreciate any suggestions regarding this.

I had s stem cell transplant in late January, beginning of August I start to get all the shots and vaccinations again, over all the whole process was not to bad. I think it depends on health and mindset before and during. Stay away from large groups, teach yourself now not to touch your face with your hands, you will become aware that we do it more than we think.. Stay away from places with a ventilation/ climate control system and large groups; they recirculate the air so the germs are there also. I have yet to return to church for this reason , its hard. Don't shake hands, I think a good practice is to avoid physical contact. Don't go to salad bars and do not get lemon in your water, don't eat foods that are subject to germs and are not cooked.. Be aware of when you catch a cold, its not an if it is a when, the infections will run wild. I caught one in April that almost put me in the hospital, the infection will migrate to any weak area, for me it ended up in my knee, ankle and wrist, I still am having ankle problems due to it. I needed 3 doses of antibiotics to get most of it gone. Be cautious of vitamins as they can impede the effects of maintenance drugs needed after the transplant, I take a men's multi and calcium with vitamin D. Watch any cuts, use an antibiotic salve and keep them covered, wear you protective items if needed; mask; gloves and tyvek suit. I work for a living most times like a self employed person although I do have full time employment; IE as a building engineer, so I get exposed to lots of bad stuff. Plumbing, HVAC, electrical, you name it I do it. WEAR PROTECTION don't take chances no matter how good you feel. The first six weeks I worked off shift and a lot from home, stayed in my office unless I was Needed. I have kept good anti bacterial cream in my office and truck and use it all the time. Installed electronic faucets at work and changed the janitors products to anti bacterial wipes and Clorox based items. I watched over 125 people see a reduction in illness. No one was aware that I was doing it as much for me as them. Limit you visitors at home, for the first few weeks you will tire easy; when you are tired you are week physically which means you will get sick easy. Go back to work as quickly as you feel able, busy hands are happy hands and you will not worry as much. However base this on how you feel, do not push it and if you don't work be kind to yourself and find something to keep you occupied. My only drug the stem cell doctor prescribed was acyclovir 400mg per day, its an anti viral , he said 28% of transplant patients get shingles after the transplant. I have spent 2 years reading up on mm and what to expect and the one thing I know for sure is that the doc I had and still have is on the leading edge of the treatments, so I listen and try to remember. Maintenance therapy for a year afterward consisting of velcade, dexamethasone and revlimid, and zoemeta once a month. Stinks because the maintenance therapy is aggressive and almost as bad as the treatment leading up to the stem cell. But my numbers are at .3 with a normal IGG and light chains, so I deal with it and continue to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

God Bless and I hope this is a help

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and thorough reply. We will take it to heart and be very careful,

God Bless You and keep you safe.

rodney said:

I had s stem cell transplant in late January, beginning of August I start to get all the shots and vaccinations again, over all the whole process was not to bad. I think it depends on health and mindset before and during. Stay away from large groups, teach yourself now not to touch your face with your hands, you will become aware that we do it more than we think.. Stay away from places with a ventilation/ climate control system and large groups; they recirculate the air so the germs are there also. I have yet to return to church for this reason , its hard. Don't shake hands, I think a good practice is to avoid physical contact. Don't go to salad bars and do not get lemon in your water, don't eat foods that are subject to germs and are not cooked.. Be aware of when you catch a cold, its not an if it is a when, the infections will run wild. I caught one in April that almost put me in the hospital, the infection will migrate to any weak area, for me it ended up in my knee, ankle and wrist, I still am having ankle problems due to it. I needed 3 doses of antibiotics to get most of it gone. Be cautious of vitamins as they can impede the effects of maintenance drugs needed after the transplant, I take a men's multi and calcium with vitamin D. Watch any cuts, use an antibiotic salve and keep them covered, wear you protective items if needed; mask; gloves and tyvek suit. I work for a living most times like a self employed person although I do have full time employment; IE as a building engineer, so I get exposed to lots of bad stuff. Plumbing, HVAC, electrical, you name it I do it. WEAR PROTECTION don't take chances no matter how good you feel. The first six weeks I worked off shift and a lot from home, stayed in my office unless I was Needed. I have kept good anti bacterial cream in my office and truck and use it all the time. Installed electronic faucets at work and changed the janitors products to anti bacterial wipes and Clorox based items. I watched over 125 people see a reduction in illness. No one was aware that I was doing it as much for me as them. Limit you visitors at home, for the first few weeks you will tire easy; when you are tired you are week physically which means you will get sick easy. Go back to work as quickly as you feel able, busy hands are happy hands and you will not worry as much. However base this on how you feel, do not push it and if you don't work be kind to yourself and find something to keep you occupied. My only drug the stem cell doctor prescribed was acyclovir 400mg per day, its an anti viral , he said 28% of transplant patients get shingles after the transplant. I have spent 2 years reading up on mm and what to expect and the one thing I know for sure is that the doc I had and still have is on the leading edge of the treatments, so I listen and try to remember. Maintenance therapy for a year afterward consisting of velcade, dexamethasone and revlimid, and zoemeta once a month. Stinks because the maintenance therapy is aggressive and almost as bad as the treatment leading up to the stem cell. But my numbers are at .3 with a normal IGG and light chains, so I deal with it and continue to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

God Bless and I hope this is a help

my husband does not like wearing a mask but certainly will to keep safe. I forgot about the skin on grapes and didn't realize that raw fruits and veggies were not good,

Thanks very much.

Melo said:

Hi Brandy
You must accept that your husband's immune system will be very low. Please take precautions to protect him from germs. Like he'll have to wear a mask when he is around people or when he is in public. Eat cook food , not raw Vegt and forget grapes unless you peel the skin. He'll probably have many medications thus supplement at this time may have to wait.

Acupuncture to balance his system is also something to look into.
The chemo will be taxing on him and acupuncture may ease the side effects.