Velcade Side Effects

Does anyone have side effects with Velcade.

Any tips on how to manage them?

Hi Christina

I too go to UofP - are you seeing Stadtmauer? I wonder why he put you on Velcade and not Revlimid at induction? Are you SCT eligible, maybe that's why. Go to have you on Board...

NYY Frank

My husband goes to Moffitt and they are giving his Velcade as a shot in his stomach now instead of through his port. They say studies show the neuropathy is not as bad. Still there but not as bad. When he was getting through his port they would put his feet and hands on ice which they said helped keep it from getting to those locations thus helping with the neuropathy. ???

I experienced neuropathy for which there’s not much you can do for it and hope it recedes once treatment is over…there are drugs that may help alleviate it. And you should ask your dr. For the constipation, try one Senna Plus in the morning, 2 Colace in the morn and at night, and after 2 days if no luck, add Miralax once a day…do not stop this routine other than in your off week and start it on the first day of each round. I used lorazepam (for anxiety and that wired feeling and a sleeping pill (sometimes 2) helped with the dex…I was on 40 mg with each Velcade dose. Hope this helps.

Hello Christina

One of my worst side effect was constipation, severe constipation. Colace helped me and kept me regular. Best of luck

My husband uses Senna S also but the Walgreens brand much cheaper. Also used prune juice along with Miralax just for these few weeks. The dex turns him beet red, can't sleep, face burns but took Benedryl this time and it seemed to help with those symptoms

Sorry to hear that you're having to cope with Velcade's side effects. I manage them by taking my full dose of Dex on the same day I get the Velcade infusion. I take the Dex at about 9:00 am and then get the Velcade at 3:00 pm. My sister is an Oncology nurse and it was her suggestion, which has worked beautifully.

Hi Frank,

I think Dr Stadtmauer is wonderful! I first received a second opinion from Mass General because it was recommended to me. Now that I think back, it seems silly because I have U Penn right in my back yard. Mass General recommended Velcade. I have a follow up every 6 months at U Penn. I did have my stems harvested. The Velcade is working very well for me. I work full time & take care of my family. The side effects are sometimes bothersome. How is Revlimid working for you?

Christina

nyyfan said:

Hi Christina

I too go to UofP - are you seeing Stadtmauer? I wonder why he put you on Velcade and not Revlimid at induction? Are you SCT eligible, maybe that's why. Go to have you on Board...

NYY Frank

Hi Shari,

The side effects aren't too bad, just annoying. I don't receive Dex anymore, just the Velcade injection, which is so much better than the IV. I did find that drinking a lot of water on the day I receive Velcade helps a lot. How are you feeling and doing?

Christina

Shari said:

Sorry to hear that you're having to cope with Velcade's side effects. I manage them by taking my full dose of Dex on the same day I get the Velcade infusion. I take the Dex at about 9:00 am and then get the Velcade at 3:00 pm. My sister is an Oncology nurse and it was her suggestion, which has worked beautifully.

Hi Chris, I have been under treatment since June 2011, what they call a 28 day cycle. I take dex for the first 4 days and recieve velcade by iv on days 1,5,9 and 14 then have a 14 day break. The side effects kicked in about 3 months ago, both feet and legs, could hardly walk let alone sleep. Drink lots of water and take tylonol, started on lyrica 3 months ago , up to 150mg 3 times a day. It works,pain is allmost gone and there is minimal numbness however it comes at a cost, blured vision and weak balance

I have just started Velcade this past January after a year of Revlimid and 8 months of Thalidamid with a break in between the two later. Tomorrow it will be three years since I was diagnosed. I am in a great deal of pain right now. Part of it is due to the Myeloma itself and the lesions and apart of it would be due to the nerve pain. It hurts to walk, to move, to roll over in bed. I am already on Lyrica 150mg. twice a day, as well as slow release morphine and oxycodone q 4 hours. I feel like I should be doing more, but the pain brings me to tears and I don't really want anyone to see me like this. I know that I am being silly, but I live alone, and although I have a big support group I hate to ask anyone for help. I have always been the helper, not the helpee? Anyways, I find with the Velcade, I am very tired ... my doctor thru 40mg. of Dex into the mix last week and it was a really rough week. I slept all day the first day ( Monday ) and then have been cat napping since. In fact I spoke with a friend for over two hours on Thursday night, from 2am on, as her Mom had been admitted to hospital with complications earlier that night. I am a very independent person and this is really knocking me for a loop ... I have tried relaxation therapy, massage but am close to being at wit's end ... anyone have some suggestions? I went thru the nausea, the constipation, the wobbliness and am hoping that now that Ontario has approved to pay for Sub Q Velcade that this is the last cycle of the IV and that hopefully the shot will be less painful.

Hi Lori,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I was on Velcade and Dex a few years ago. I didn't have to many side effects, just the typical ones. I couldn't sleep from the Dex. I took Xanax to sleep at night. I'm now on maintenance every other week with Velcade only. I started receiving it sub q in January. The sub q is great, less pn & fatigue. I never had a problem, no redness or swelling. It's just like a flu shot, except there is a tiny bit of burning for a few seconds. It is so much better than the IV. My Dr suggested a low dose of Ritalin for the fatigue & chemo brain. I was shocked when he suggested this, but it really works. I think my best medicine is staying active & not thinking about the MM. I've worked since I've was first diagnosed & I try not to let it interfere with any other activities. I hate MM & won't give into it.