Staging and Survival

I do have a query that I cannot seem to find an answer for online. In Stage III with very recent diagnosis does the severity and quantity of bone fractures and the severity and frequency of anemia significantly impact the onset of mortality or do they strictly represent a quality of life? I could give much better emotional support if I knew these answers. Thank you. Cat

I will try and look up a more clinical response tomorrow from the office (I work in cancer research and have access to abundant resources) but I found this website response about Stage III staging and the goals of treatment:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple-myeloma/multiple-myeloma-stage-3.aspx

From this I gathered that the approach at this stage is two-fold: Treat the disease as well as can be tolerated (chemotherapy/radiation) and treat the symptoms (bone fractures, anemia). To be honest, and based on my own experience with my father, I recommend your support reflect the same approach: realistic of treatment options and encouraging of quality of life. I'm not suggesting that your person will not beat this disease as I know several MM patients at stage 4 go on to live full lives.

I'll try to get back with more information as I find it. Best wishes to you and know that we're thinking of you.

Danielle Walsh said:

I will try and look up a more clinical response tomorrow from the office (I work in cancer research and have access to abundant resources) but I found this website response about Stage III staging and the goals of treatment:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple-myeloma/multiple-myeloma-sta...

From this I gathered that the approach at this stage is two-fold: Treat the disease as well as can be tolerated (chemotherapy/radiation) and treat the symptoms (bone fractures, anemia). To be honest, and based on my own experience with my father, I recommend your support reflect the same approach: realistic of treatment options and encouraging of quality of life. I'm not suggesting that your person will not beat this disease as I know several MM patients at stage 4 go on to live full lives.

I'll try to get back with more information as I find it. Best wishes to you and know that we're thinking of you.

Cat said:Thank you, Danielle. The news continues to be very concerning. There is fever now as well as radiation sores along with the multiple compression fractures, regular plasma and blood transfusions. Sadly, he is unable to receive the chemo and radiation therapies due to his current condition, but we are still hopeful. There may also be kidney involvement, but not sure yet at this point. The good news is that he is being transferred to a cancer treatment facility and we are hopeful they will have more options available. He has been in hospital for about a month. I look forward to any information you can provide. This all happened so very fast. Just three months from diagnosis. Again, thank you from my heart.

Danielle Walsh said:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple-myeloma/multiple-myeloma-sta...

Cat, I'm so sorry to hear of the progression of symptoms. I am hopeful that moving to a cancer treatment center will help to alleviate his burden and your concerns. I would love to stay positive for you and for your friend but I want to be realistic about expectations.

This is what I've found from the link below:

Patient factors — The clinical outcome for patients with myeloma depends upon a complex interaction between biologic features of the plasma cell clone and patient specific factors such as age, performance status, and comorbidities. Patients with comorbidities that limit their ability to withstand treatment will have a poor outcome even if they have a myeloma with features commonly associated with a better prognosis. While much of the research evaluating prognosis in myeloma has focused on the biologic properties of the malignant clone, large case series have identified numerous prognostic factors in patients with myeloma, some of which are patient dependent factors.

Here's the link to an evidence-based resource we use with info about MM/staging: http://www.uptodate.com/contents/staging-and-prognostic-studies-in-multiple-myeloma?source=search_result&search=stage+4+multiple+myeoloma&selectedTitle=1~150

Here's a "patient version" :http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-multiple-myeloma-symptoms-diagnosis-and-staging?source=see_link

Cat, please know we are here for you, more than you may know. Danielle

Danielle, Thank you for your kind thoughts. Your link is very insightful, though sobering. I appreciate your candidness and your research on my behalf. It is so difficult to find useful information that one can easily understand yet you’ve managed to do that for me - and I thank you. Having lost my father to bone cancer this is so much more difficult. Father and son, I wonder what the odds are? Cat

Your welcome, Cat. I hope my candidness did not come across as insensitivity. I've been in shoes similar to yours exactly 8 years ago. About this same time and date, my father went to the hospital for his usual follow-up. While stopping in the men's room, he managed to break his arm. Two days later while trying to determine if surgery was an option, a nurse helping him move broke his other arm. As a daughter it was difficult to watch the strongest man you know fall apart. I wish at the time I would have had the information that I sent you to help me understand it all.

I pray that you and yours find peace and understanding in all of this madness. If you need anything else or any information, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Danielle

this is an incredibly touching and wonderful discussion. thanks for being so open and honest. this post will help many people down the line too.

Thank you, Scott. I was first touched by cancer in 1976 when my father was diagnosed. I prayed then that the cure would be close at hand. Here we are 35 years later and now I have a child and two brothers fighting this same battle. Someday there will be an end to this, but until that time I thank God there are always people to reach out and share with. God bless all of you. May we each find our own peace.

Scott orn said:

this is an incredibly touching and wonderful discussion. thanks for being so open and honest. this post will help many people down the line too.

you’re a courageous woman Cat.

Not so much, sometimes.

Scott orn said:

you're a courageous woman Cat.

everyone needs help, that’s why we started the site!

Hey, Cat! been thinking about you a lot lately. Just wanted you to know we’re here and to see how you are doing. Let us know if you need anything.–Danielle

Me too Cat. Hope you are well. :slight_smile: