Good information

Treatment Regimen Featuring Revlimid-Velcade-Dexamethasone Therapy And Stem Cell Transplantation Yields Deep Responses In Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma

31 Comments By The Myeloma Beacon Staff
Published: Jul 16, 2014 8:54 am

French researchers earlier this week published updated results of a small Phase 2 clinical trial testing the combination of Revlimid, Velcade, and dexa­metha­sone (RVD) in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma pa­tients.

The researchers found that RVD, when given before and after stem cell trans­plan­ta­tion – and when followed by maintenance therapy with Rev­limid – led to very deep treatment responses and significant survival rates.

The 31 newly diagnosed patients in the French trial initially were treated with three cycles of RVD therapy. Next, the trial participants underwent autologous (own) stem cell transplants, followed by two cycles of RVD consolidation therapy, and concluding with a year of Revlimid maintenance therapy.

All patients in the study achieved at least a partial response to this treatment regimen. Almost 60 percent achieved a complete response or stringent complete response. And a full two thirds of the patients achieved so-called minimal residual disease (MRD)-negative status, meaning that sensitive testing could not find any sign of myeloma in their bodies.

Perhaps the most noteworthy outcome of the trial, however, is how many patients survived a full three years from the time of their diagnosis: 100 percent.

Equally important, however, is the trial’s finding that, among the patients who achieved MRD-negative status, the three-year progression-free survival rate was also 100 percent.

I received the RVD treatment for 10 months after the transplant, now I just get the RD treatment at reduced levels. RVD is tough after a transplant because I though I had a chance that it would all go away, however LOOK at THE RESULTS, boy is it worth it. Rodney

Rodney, thank you for posting this article. My boyfriend had told me about it and I hadn't read it. Studies like these are encouraging and it seems more and more research is being done concerning MM. New drugs & therapies are on the horizon.

Thank you for sharing your own experience with RVD. You never know who may be reading this that may have been struggling with this decision and will be encouraged by it!

God bless,

Kim (JerseyGyrl)